Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My favourite things.. on a rainy day..

Raindrops and roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with string,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
Snow flakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
Silver white winters that melt into spring,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Cream coloured ponies, and crisp apple strudel,
Door bells and sleigh bells and snitchzel with noodles,
White geese that fly with the moon on their wings,
These are a few of my favourite things.
When the dogs bark,
When the bees sting,
When I am feeling sad.
I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel, so bad!
(From: The Sound Of Music)
Since I was a kid, I have loved this song completely. Enjoyed singing it aloud and dancing arm in arm with a make believe partner.
As i grew older, I realised the deeper meaning. How if you do really have a list of special things, moments, people, dates.. even a bad day doesnt seem so bad, the world doesnt feel very cruel, and tomorrow feels very worth living for all over again.
Try it sometimes, its almost therapeutic :o)
A list I made for when the rains and all the gloom makes me feel low..
1) Walking barefoot on very fine grass, actually feeling the earth beneath my feet.
2) Eating buttered popcorn while watching a whodunit all wrapped up in bed.
3) Waking up in the middle of the night, raving hungry and actually finding one last piece of gooey chocolate cake in the fridge!
4) Watching the sea, staring at nothing, on a windy;cloudy day and then having it suddenly pour leaving you wet, with a few shivers and yet,feeling completely alive.
5) Watching a kid returning from school on a rainy day, seeing him step into every puddle (in his way and not in his way) and wanting to give him company *splash* :o)
6) Lying in bed and hearing the rain hit the windows hard, hear the wind howling, listen to nature in its full glory.
7) Not bothering with an umbrella and running the last stretch of road leading to your car and feeling all of 10 again.
8) Taking a long walk on a promenade near the sea, when its pouring, chances are you'll be all alone, with not one soul on the road and the world feels like it was made for you.. *sigh*
3 whole months of this.. And suddenly, life isnt all gloomy any more..
Any ideas on the movie?
z

2 Comments:

Blogger Sphinx said...

Hey...Sound of music...i was in love with the movie once upon a time...and the songs too. I'd almost forgotten about it all....thanks for reminding me...I'm gonna go back to delhi n watch it again....The movie just makes u feel awesomely good. Atleast the first half:o). just the mention of it brings a smile to me....happiness. I'd made a list of "a few of my favourite things" when i was younger.I ogtta do it all over again....thanks for the post zee....am all smiles!!

Hey just a couple of additions to your rain list...:D

* Standing in the wind and the feeling the first drop on ur cheek.
* Getting all wet and then sitting with a cup of hot coffee in the terrace and watching the miracle called rain...

Sadly i usually run for cover now....A little bit of nothing sure, but matters a whole lot!!

Blog on...

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this song...like one remembers all those sweet melancholies of childhood. The movie brings back memories...of how things were back then.Of hope.Some one once told me that life wasn't meant to be so much of a damn fight...and somewhere along the way I forgot that. Sometimes a song is all it takes...we may not have a song(for that there are movies) but we do have song. That fibre that runs through us all...it takes someone to start singing.And I break into song!!! Brilliant choice of movie z...loved the subtext.

Have often stared at the seas myself...feeling the salt cake on my lips, the thrash of surf...a staccatto,powerful yet.restrained.The wind just pushing me back a bit...just that wee bit,I'm not alone.She is with me...just for that minute.It's the throbbing sensation of pleasure that remains...

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home